My sister Amber, has requested that I write a post concerning the movies I recommend of late or want to see in the near future. I have decided to acquiesce and therefore here is a short list of some films I have enjoyed recently (in no subsequent order):
(1) Lord of War – Fictional tale about an arms dealer who profits off of war and death. Rethinks the idea of WMD's.
(2) Syriana– What is the real price of oil? A haunting story about the lengths we will go to preserve this product.
(3) Elizabethtown– First of all, Cameron Crowe made an excellent soundtrack to the film, but at the same time I do love movies about road trips, and I really enjoyed this one (I even ignored Orlando Bloom's poor acting job!)
(4) The Constant Gardener– Great story and great acting.
(5) Sometimes in April– HBO produced drama depicting the genocide of Rwanda. Unbelievable….
Okay, now to movies that I am looking forward to watching:
(1) A History of Violence – I just hear great things about this one.
(2) Capote– Phillip Seymour Hoffman is a great actor. Enough said.
(3) The Corporation– documentary on how big business transforms culture.
(4) Good Night and Good Luck– film about McCarthyism and how many people responded to it. Might have some insightful applications to our contemporary context.
Well, there we have it. If you have seen any of these, please let me know what you thought and give me any recommendations you have for future viewing. Take care.